Sunday, April 11, 2010

Inspiration in Dallas

Once in a great while, I am lucky enough to get invited down to Dallas to visit Moda and see the fabric and quilt masters up close. This past week I popped down for the Moda retreat - once a year they invite their customers and designers to come take a few classes, listen to inspiring speakers, eat wonderful food, as well as get a peek at the upcoming lines. After teaching her classes, Joanna Figueroa and I got a chance to sneak off to the library to look for inspiration to use in our new fabric lines. I've only been in the document textile library once before - it's a small room packed with all sorts of bits and pieces that Cheryl, the design director, has picked up over the many, many years she has worked with Moda. Eighteenth century French toiles, English chintz, American quilt squares - you name it, it's there. Tucked into small drawers, they have organized each category of fabric- so when you are looking for a 19th century French fantasy floral - you look through not one, but many pieces that represent this style. It's a fabric lover's dream. My favorite part - the part I dream about, are the old French fabric sample books. Falling apart - held together with just a crusty old spine, these books are filled with pages that have small squares of fabric glued down to each page - some of the books are 4" thick!
Later that night as I was going to sleep - the strangest thing happened - I kept having random designs of fabric pop through my head - like small flashes of color and shapes - it was as if I had looked at so many designs that my brain was on auto-design. I loved it!
I'll post photos of our newest line, Maison de Garance next week - lot's of old reds, chocolate browns and tea stains - once I receive the fabric samples we'll have a grand giveaway!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

That second fabric picture is just delicious. How lucky you are to be in that vault of samples.

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

looks like so much fun!!

Suzanne said...

Hi Kaari: I agree. That second blue and red sample is to die for. I'm in France now doing my own research = ) You must press Moda for some hemp like beefy woven solids. Bought some in a little fabric shop in Avignon and am in love. Can't wait to duplicate the linens I found here. Also need grain sack reproduction fabric. I'll continue to beg until I get my way.

Unknown said...

Oh that sounds like heaven!

becky up the hill said...

Textile heaven. I have yet to see a textile sample book. Your newest book is on my birthday list ;o).

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Oh my...so beautiful! I can't wait to see what you have in store for us!
:)

K Cotton said...

Dear Kaari, oh my! you have been busy! I can't wait to see your own line of fabrics out of those MODA's sample book. Your design cordination and color choices are wonderful! I like the second fabric picture the best! I hope you are producing something like that in near future!

dorylyn thomas said...

How beautiful the fabric photos are! I, too, love the 2nd photo...blue and red. And I loved your dream story...so exciting!!

Anonymous said...

I would have had to be dragged from that 'special room' such delightful samples you have shown us. I can't wait to see your new range Maison de Garance. Here in Melbourne, Australia we have just received in the last 3 weeks, your Rural Jardin range. Such beautiful colours and patterns, I just had to buy some from nearly every bolt. from Jenny McH

Susan Z said...

Hi Kaari,
I wish you could make that your newest book...one with fabric swatches for inspiration...I will keep my fingers crossed!!

Unknown said...

Loved this post . . . a truly wonderful experience!! . . . liz

sko_G knits said...

can't wait to see the preview of the new line! i am a HUGE fan of your 3 lines with moda so far.

Sherri said...

How wonderful it must have been to look at those fabric books...I don't think I would have been able to sleep much either! Looking forward to seeing your new line as well.

Tempus fugit said...

I'm looking forward to looking at your new fabrics !

Anonymous said...

Wow, fabulous!

Taryn said...

Yes, I am jealous. Are you happy now?